Monday, January 12, 2009

1/10/09 (yesterday) Abigail Foy

Despite the bone chilling cold, which made me almost want to kill myself, the first day of our trip went off without a hitch. The morning seminar required us to wake up by about 6 a.m., a time I have not seen in a while. However, once at the seminar I found myself entranced with interest in what the speakers had to say.

Our first speaker was Steve Bell, who had my full attention as he spoke on the topic of “The Media and The Presidency”. He spoke about how the media has been revolutionized and how the internet has affected the media in a way that figures in the media have less control over what goes out and who it goes out to. There is no longer a “caretaker’’ that censors the majority of what is released in the media.

The second speaker, the one I thought to be the most interesting, was Dana Bash, who is the Senior Whitehouse Correspondent for CNN. During the Presidential Campaign she was also assigned to the trail of John McCain. Her speaking was enticing but her Q&A was a personal insight to the McCain campaign that was a once and a lifetime experience.

After the seminars, which were attention-grabbing, but honestly seemed to go on forever, we went to an awesome little pizza place and then went on to go sightseeing. It was freezing cold!!! We went to see the Jefferson Memorial, the WWII Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, and a couple of others. They were all equally gorgeous and uniformly historically remarkable, and I had a great time taking numerous pictures.

When we finally returned to the hotel room I was completely exhausted and wrote my blog. I am just posting it because after I wrote it I passed out in my comfy bed at the Holiday Inn where we are staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment