Friday, January 16, 2009

Genovese (Sam Vogel)

So I finally finished Memo to a New President!!!! WOOT! During the first section of the book I felt like Genovese was arrogant and I wasn't looking forward to the rest of the book. However, I really enjoyed the second part of the book. I think that Michael Genovese organized the layout very well (unlike the organization of TWC). In the "Self" section, Genovese made points towards being a good President that I felt Obama already has. Barak Obama has personality traits that Genovese described as Presidential musts. Among these include "painting a picture with words," a skill that Obama has under his belt (101). He also mentions being "handsome, poised, witty, and self-assured,) more characteristics Barak Obama already possesses. 

Even thought I like parts of Genovese's book, I did not agree with certain comments he makes. He suggest, "don't be yourself." While not being yourself may be a quicker ticket to success, the American people want their President to be a person they know, not someone who is fake. 

My favorite part of the book was the chapter called "The Paradoxes of the American Presidency." I thought it was really interesting to read about all of paradoxes that the American public expect from a President. Although I liked the book, I was annoyed that he stuck arrogant and cocky comments throughout. After seeing him speak in person I feel like his personality comes out in his book more than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment